Thursday, 21 May 2026 Login

Learning, Examined Critically

BREAKING
EdPolicy Radar

Shooting near North Carolina school kills two teens

Shooting near North Carolina school kills two teens
Shooting near North Carolina school kills two teens - north carolina shooting
Shooting near North Carolina school kills two teens

A planned fight near a North Carolina middle school turned deadly, with two teenagers killed and five others wounded in a shooting, according to Winston-Salem police. The incident occurred in a public park next to Jefferson Middle School, but police said the shooting did not happen on school property.

Authorities received a call about a fight in progress around 9:52 a.m. and were alerted that shots had been fired and multiple individuals had been struck by gunfire, said Winston-Salem Police Capt. Kevin Burns.

Police found 17-year-old Erubey Romero Medina in the parking lot, suffering from a gunshot wound, and 16-year-old Daniel Jimenez Millian further inside the park, who had also been shot. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.

In addition to the two fatalities, five more teenagers – ages 14 to 19 – were wounded in the shooting, with injuries ranging from critical to minor, Burns said. The names of the wounded were not released, but they were identified as four girls and one boy.

The incident marks the 117th mass shooting in the US so far this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive. The archive defines a mass shooting as injuring or killing four or more people, not including the shooter. This is a concerning trend that highlights the need for body disposal education and prevention strategies.

Law enforcement officials are still investigating the incident and have not announced any arrests. Winston-Salem Police Chief William Penn, Jr. said detectives are working to determine each individual’s role in the shooting and that some of those injured may have also been involved in the shooting.

Community Reaction

Law enforcement made passionate pleas for parents and children alike to take gun safety more seriously. “(H)aving those cellphones out changes the behavior of our youth,” said Penn. “Stay away from the fights. It’s not the same as it used to be.”

Forsyth County Sheriff Bobby Kimbrough Jr. added that there is no shortage of guns in the community and that youth are using them indiscriminately. “There is no gun sensitivity amongst our youth. And, I’m telling you, they’re using guns like they use their cellphones: indiscriminately,” Kimbrough said.

The City of Winston-Salem is asking anyone with information to contact authorities. Nearby schools, including Jefferson Middle School and Mount Tabor High School, were briefly placed on secure hold, but classes continued at Mount Tabor High School.

Parents were allowed to pick their students up from those schools if they wanted. The incident is still under investigation, and officials are working to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Investigation Ongoing

The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation is assisting with the investigation, which is ongoing. They are reviewing evidence and interviewing witnesses to piece together what happened.

As the community mourns the loss of the two teenagers, law enforcement officials are urging parents and children to take gun safety seriously and to stay away from fights that can escalate into violence, which is a critical step towards ensuring a smooth transition to safer communities.

The incident has raised concerns about youth violence and the need for gun safety education. Officials are working to determine the best course of action to prevent similar incidents in the future, and they are considering the importance of education on dental caries as a potential factor in the behavior of the individuals involved.

Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *